Swirling, Sniffing and Sipping Organic Wine from Provence: why wine drinkers are switching
Looking for a gentle way to say goodbye to the summer, I finally took time to discover our very own Maison des Vins here in Provence. Home to around 800 red, white and rosé wine from the Côtes de Provence, this is where wine producers showcase their produce and an excellent way for wine lovers like me to taste and appreciate fine blends of Côtes de Provence wine.
What I found refreshing during my session with the resident oenologist was the choice and taste of organic (bio wine in France). Up to now, I had not paid much attention to organic wines but I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised at the fresh taste and wanted to find out more about organic wine here in France.
Here are 5 good reasons why you should take organic
wine more seriously:
1. Winemakers make the switch because they realize the damage that constant use of pesticides causes to their domaines. Chemicals rob soil of their natural properties. Today, more and more vintners are seriously making an effort to protect their domaines and the environment.Organic grape farming requires grapes to be organic which means no chemical fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides but using instead 100% natural products.
2. Farmers are the first victims of the substance intensive-based agriculture. If it’s that harmful to them, it must also be unhealthy to us. It takes three years for them to convert their soil from traditional grape growing too organic.
3. The organic wine industry is growing considerably In France. According to Agence Bio, the French Governmental body for organic affairs, French households bought nearly 800 million euros of organic wines in 2016.
4. Wineries that make organic wine have to follow specific guidelines not only in the vineyard but also in the vinification process. To get the certified organic label in France winemakers turn to organizations such as Ecocert which ensures that all European regulations are met.
5. French households bought nearly 800 million euros of organic wines in 2016. More organic wine is available these days; it’s easy to opt for healthy organic wine not only in supermarkets but also in restaurants.
One thing is clear, more and more of us are keen on a healthier lifestyle and thankfully, we are paying more attention to the environment. Don't you think these are perfect reasons for taking organic wine seriously? Wine drinking should always be a pleasure and if we pay attention to our beautiful planet, even better!!